"Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1213)
Congratulations! Making the decision to have your child baptized in the Catholic faith is an eternal commitment to an abundant life. As a parish we want to support you and your family as much as possible. Infant Baptism is for children from birth to 7 years of age.
The love you share with your spouse has already named and brought this child into your family. With Baptism you are giving birth to your child once more- into the family of the Church. We welcome you and are excited to be a part of your child’s first step on their lifelong journey of faith.
The Steps of Baptism Preparation
Step 1 - Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in choosing godparents for your child.
When choosing your child’s godparents, be aware that a godparent is NOT the same as a legal guardian who would step in if something were to happen that would require them to raise your child. Rather, a godparent is someone who will be a life-long presence in their lives who will assist the parents in sharing the Catholic faith with that child. They are to be practicing Catholics who will be role models and guides.
- You may have two godparents, who may not be the child's parents, and they must be opposite gender.
- At least one must be an active, practicing Catholic in good standing and if married, the marriage must be recognized by the Catholic Church. One must be an active Catholic in good standing and they must provide a letter from their pastor stating this.
- If you have another person who is not Catholic but is Christian and has been baptized in a Christian church that is recognized by the Catholic Church, then they may serve as a Christian Witness.
- Godparents and Christian Witnesses must be at least 16 years of age.
- Godparents must be practicing Catholics who have received all their Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- You cannot serve as a Christian Witness if you are Muslim, Jewish, Mormon (or another faith with invalid baptisms) or if you are unbaptized.
Step 2 - Register as a Parishioner of Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church
It is important to have a home church where you practice your faith with a community that supports you in your relationship with Christ. Parents should attend weekly mass and support the parish by participating in activities and giving of their time, talent, and treasure. You may register as a parishioner online at www.olsos.org/register –OR- you may contact the Parish Office at 313-884-5554.
Step 3 - Initial Contact
After reviewing the information on the website, complete the Baptism Registration form and have the godparents (or Christian Witness) complete their forms (see the links below) and send to Mrs. Meredith Nesom, [email protected] -OR- 313-884-7407, ext. 7. Your completed Baptism registration form begins the preparation process and Mrs. Nesom will contact you to register for the online Baptism course.
Step 4- Complete the online Belonging: Baptism in the Family of God course and complete forms
Belonging: Baptism in the Family of God is designed to provide parents with an incredible encounter with Jesus and with the Church. This program seeks to prepare parents to have their children baptized, will learn what it means to be children of God and that in the Church, they will always have a place where they belong. Once you have completed the course, you will send your Completion Certificate to Mrs. Nesom to let us know you are ready for the follow-up meeting.
Step 5 – Attend Follow-up Meeting
During the follow up meeting, At this meeting, we will:
- Review the Sacrament of Baptism
- Share your thoughts on the online program Belonging: Baptism in the Family of God.
- Verify that all paperwork is complete.
- Answer any questions you may have.
Step 6- Schedule Baptism Date
The baptismal date will be scheduled after the Baptism meeting. Baptisms are celebrated after the 11:30 am Mass on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month.